Putting games on a graphing calculator is hardly anything new. However, the selection of games is not exactly vast, and many people grow tired of them fairly quickly.
This is all about to change.
Introducing TI-Boy CE, a Game Boy emulator for the TI-84 Plus CE, TI-84 Plus CE-T, and TI-83 Premium CE. It is available for you to try right now, and includes all of the following features:
- Emulates original Game Boy hardware (except audio and linking)
- Emulates real-time clock for certain cartridges
- Save states with compression
- Fullscreen and 1:1 scaling modes (with optional skin)
- Turbo mode (with speed display)
- GBC-style selectable color palettes for Game Boy games
- Customizable controls
- Supports Original Game Boy game ROMs
You know you want to try it. I won’t waste any more of your time, let’s get started!
What You Need
- A TI-84 Plus CE Calculator
- The latest release of TI-Boy CE (download: under assets, download the first file in the list)
- TI Connect CE (download)
Firstly, open the zip file that you downloaded, and extract TIBOYCE.8xp, TIBoySkn.8xv, and TIBoyDat.8xv by dragging them onto your desktop. Then, send them to your calculator using TI Connect CE. If you need help doing this, refer to the video above.
Once you have found the Game Boy ROM(s) you would like to use (you can find them with a quick Google search), go to this website to convert them to a calculator-friendly format (alternatively, you can use the ROM converter program found in the file you downloaded).
Send the converted ROMs to your calculator (there may be more than one file per ROM), again using TIConnect CE.
On your calculator, hit the [prgm] button, and select TIBOYCE by pressing enter. From here you will see a list of all the Gameboy games on your calculator and can play them by selecting one and pressing enter.
How to Use
Every game has different controls, but you can control the options for them and other emulation options by pressing the [clear] key at any time.
…and that’s pretty much all there is to it! Have fun, and enjoy your new Game Boy games on your calculator!