Entering Test Mode (or “Press-to-Test Mode”) on a TI-84 Plus CE is a way of ensuring that students are not able to access any unauthorized programs or files when taking an exam. While it is not immediately obvious how to enter this hidden mode, it will be easy for you to do once you learn how to do it.
Enabling Test Mode
- Start by turning off the calculator
- Press and hold the right and left arrow keys. While you are still holding down these two keys, tap the “On” button.
- You will now see a screen with several options.
- ANGLE allows you to choose between radian and degree mode.
- STAT DIAGNOSTICS allows you to turn off and on the correlation coefficient (r) and the coefficient of determination (r^2) when doing regression.
- DISABLE logBASE allows you to disable the use of logs other than log base 10.
- DISABLE Σ( allows you to disable the use summations
- Press the [Zoom] key to accept all of the options or the [y=] button to cancel.
- Press any key to finish.
If the process completes without errors, then the calculator should now be in test mode. You can tell by the blue banner at the top of the calculator which states “TEST MODE”.
The calculator will now be rendered incapable of using any apps, programs, pictures/images, etc. Any preexisting files stored in the archive are not actually deleted, just disabled until the calculator is removed from test mode.
One issue with Test Mode is the fact that it causes the battery to drain at a much faster rate, so it is recommended that you remove the calculators from test mode after the examination. For more details on how to do this, refer to this article.